Grand Guignol: From theatre to label
The Grand Guignol was founded as a single theatre, which was opened in 1895. Under the management of Max Maurey the house was renamed into “Le Grand-Guignol”, referring with its name to the badly behaving, violent Mr. Punch-variation “Guignol”. The name of the theatre became significant for the style of the presented plays:

Very soon the “Grand-Guignol“ meant not only the theatre (which was closed after World War II), it became a label for a certain mode of representation, which is still valid today (Petermann 1987: 225).

by Thomas Ballhausen